Thursday, October 13, 2011

Candy Corn and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Last night as I was looking at my latest issue of Food & Wine  magazine I came across this recipe for Candy Corn and Chocolate Chip Cookies. Everyone in my family loves candy corn, with the exception of Caroline. If you remember from an earlier post she is the child that doesn't care for any homemade Macaroni & Cheese except for this Wonderfully Creamy One Pot Macaroni & Cheese.  Kind of a weird child, I know.  But I knew I had to make these cookies for the kids.    
These cookies were yummy, but this cookie recipe has a lot of steps.  We did enjoy them and I will definitely make these again.


Candy Corn and Chocolate Chip Cookies
1  1/2  cups flour
1/2   teaspoon baking powder
1/4   teaspoon baking soda
1  1/4  teaspoons kosher salt
1  1/2  sticks unsalted butter, softened
1  1/4  cups sugar
1/2  cup light brown sugar
1  large egg
1/2  teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cornflake Crunch (recipe follows)
2/3  cup mini chocolate chips (I used regular, that's all I had.)
1  cup candy corn (about 7 ounces)


In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle beat the butter and sugars at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 4 minutes.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  At low speed, beat in the dry ingredients, then beat in the Cornflake Crunch, chocolate chips and candy corn.  Mound 1/4 cup scoops of dough 4 inches apart on 4 parchment-lined baking sheets.  Flatten the cookies slightly and refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and position a rack in the center. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for 15 minutes, until browned around the edges but still a bit pale in the center.  Let cool completely on the tray, then serve.


Cornflake Crunch
4 cups Cornflakes (5 ounces), lightly crushed
1/2  cup dry milk powder
3  tablespoons sugar
1  teaspoon salt
10  tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 


Preheat the oven to 275 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchement.  In a large bowl, toss the cornflakes with the milk powder, sugar, salt and butter until coated.  Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake until golden and fragrant, about 20 minutes.  Let the crunch cool completely.


Cook's Notes:
Although I did find this recipe to be a little involved, the cookies were very good.  The candy corn don't really taste like candy corn once they are baked.  They taste more like a chewy hard candy.  I have to admit that we did not wait the full 3 hours that they were supposed to sit in the fridge.  We put them in the freezer for about 45 minutes to an hour. Our candy corns melted and spread out over the baking sheet.  These are big cookies, don't crowd them and don't put them too close to the edge of the baking sheet or you will have candy corn dripping onto the bottom of your oven.  I would like to try next time not making them so big, of course the kids loved them that size. Even Caroline liked them!


I had to buy the dry milk powder for the Cornflake Crunch.  I found it in the baking aisle and it was about $3 for the bag. 




Let me know if you make them how they turn out for you.


Enjoy!


Kim

October 2012 Update~I made again and did not add the candy corn to the batter and I made the cookies smaller. About half way through the cooking time, I removed the cookies from the oven and pressed the candy corn into the cookies. Return to oven and continue baking.

Shared at the following parties:
Our very own Weekend Potluck
Recipes for My Boys Thursdays Treasures
Walking on Sunshine Foodie Friends Friday
Katherine Martinelli Halloween Blog Hop
Six Sisters' Stuff Strut Your Stuff Saturday
Everyday Mom's Meals Church Supper



2 comments:

  1. That cornflake crunch addition sounds interesting! Thanks for joining Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love candy corn and have thought about putting them in cookies... This looks great. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and remember to come back and vote on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us your feedback!